Actual weights can vary significantly from ancestry liveweight breeding values and accurate data will allow you to identify more efficient converters of feed into profit.
Analysis from some herds weighed in the summer of 2018, saw individual weights differ to the ancestral weight calculated for the animal. Some of these weights varied by up to + or – 100kgs.
After the weight data was entered, the animal PWs moved in the range of +90 PW to -90 PW.
Adding value to herd improvement
Improved animal index accuracy allows you to to make more educated herd improvement decisions for breeding and culling.
- Improving the accuracy of animal PW and BW
- Improving culling & breeding decisions, which will increase the rate of genetic gain
- No capital outlay
- Hassle free weighing service
- No data entry
- Competitive pricing
- Can be carried out in conjunction with other Field Assist services (Herd audit, Tag/ID checks, DNA or A2/A2 sampling).
Without genuine animal weight records in MINDA®, culling mistakes are probably being regularly made; many farmers are likely to be getting rid of sound animals, simultaneously keeping others that, in truth, possess a higher-than-average cost of productionRachel Bloxham - Herd Improvement Technical Manager
A free site assessment will be carried out prior to LIC Field assist commencing the job.
You will need:
- staff to assist with the weighing
- suitable holding yards and race (can be the cow shed exit race)
- Flat surface suitable to mount the weighing crush on.
Best time to weigh
Weighing of your animals can be done right throughout the season. But given the early season demands, it might be more practical to weigh the animals after mating.
We can also weigh young stock. Our team will discuss your requirements with you to understand how we can help with this
On Farm Weighing Service Pricing
Set up fee
Fee per animal
Travel fee (per km)
All prices Excl GST.