We offer three BVD testing options that use milk samples to monitor your herd’s BVD status and identify persistently infected (PI) animals for culling.
- BVD Status Pack - combines both products below for a superior BVD test at both a herd and individual animal level. Test three bulk milk (vat) samples throughout the season to monitor your herd’s BVD status as well as individually test all cows present at the herd test to obtain lifetime BVD status on MINDA.
- Bulk Milk BVD Monitoring Pack - test three bulk milk (vat) samples throughout the season to monitor your herd’s BVD status.
- BVD PI Hunt - test milk samples from a routine herd test to identify PI animals if you get a positive result from your first two Bulk Milk BVD Monitoring tests.
BVD Status pack to monitor your herds BVD Status and obtain lifetime BVD status of individual cows
How the test pack works
1st test - Bulk Milk (early season)
- Tests for BVD virus (PCR test) and antibody exposure levels (Antibody ELISA)
- Results emailed.
2nd test - Herd test milk samples (approx 2 weeks after 1st bulk milk)
- Each sample tested for BVD virus (PCR test)
- Results will be emailed and uploaded to MINDA - animals are permanently marked in MINDA as Not Persistently Infected (NPI) or Persistently Infected (PI). This is a lifetime status.
3rd test - Bulk Milk (4 weeks after herd test)
- Tests for BVD virus (PCR test) to check PI animals have been removed from the herd.
- Results emailed.
4th test - Bulk milk (late season)
- Test for antibody exposure levels (Antibody ELISA)
- Results emailed.
- The turnaround time for results will be within 3-5 working days for the bulk tank milk samples and within 7 working days from when you receive the herd test lab strip result for the individual herd test results. Results will be emailed and uploaded to MINDA.
- The PCR test results (for bulk milk samples and individual herd test samples) will be either BVD positive or negative.
- The Antibody ELISA test for bulk milk samples gives you an indication of the herds’ immunity. There are 5 possible results: No exposure, low, medium, high or very high exposure.
- All individual BVD positive results are tested twice to confirm result.
Order a BVD Status Pack
You can order a BVD Status Pack by:
Once signed up this pack will rollover each year.
For more information, download the BVD status info sheet.
Bulk Milk BVD Monitoring Pack to monitor your herd’s BVD status
We test three bulk milk samples over a six-month period. We get the bulk milk samples from your dairy company at the following times:
- September to October (before mating).
- A fortnight later to check whether the results have changed.
- Late February to early March to check for any changes in your herd’s BVD status after natural mating bulls have been with the herd.
We test the first two samples for:
- the BVD virus (PCR test)
- the antibodies animals produce in response to the virus (antibody ELISA test). The higher the antibody levels the more likely your herd is currently infected, or has been recently infected.
We test the third sample for BVD antibodies only.
If the BVD virus is detected in both the first and second tests we recommend a PI Hunt test to identify which animals are causing the problem. This allows you to cull PI animals before mating and reduce the risk of cows being exposed to the BVD virus during early pregnancy.
Invest in the pack annually for best results
Invest in a Bulk MiIk BVD Monitoring Pack every year to get a regular update on your herd’s BVD status — including its antibody levels. Low antibody levels indicate that your herd has a low natural immunity to BVD and may be vulnerable to infection. Talk to your vet about what you can do to protect your herd.
We’ll email the results to you up to 3-5 days after we receive the bulk milk samples. We can also send the results by post if you don’t have email.
One-off bulk milk sample tests
We also offer two types of one-off bulk milk sample tests to monitor BVD in your herd:
- A one-off bulk milk test uses a bulk milk sample ordered from your dairy company to check your herd’s BVD status.
- A custom sample milk test uses a sample of milk you collect yourself. It may include milk from a smaller number of animals to narrow down the source of infection. Call us on 0800 436 362 to find out how to collect the milk sample.
Use the tests to detect:
- the BVD virus (PCR test) or
- BVD antibodies (antibody ELISA test).
Order a Bulk Milk BVD Monitoring Pack
You can order a Bulk Milk BVD Monitoring Pack by:
Use these order forms to order a one-off bulk milk test or a custom sample milk test too.
BVD PI Hunt — identify PI animals for culling
Test individual milk samples from a routine herd test to identify PI animals so you can cull them and protect your herd.
Book a BVD PI Hunt test if the BVD virus is detected in your first two Bulk Milk BVD Monitoring tests.
You can test for the BVD virus in every milk sample from the herd test, or you can test samples from selected cows, such as heifers. Talk to your vet or our Animal Health Advisors team about which cows you should test.
We’ll email the results to you up to 5-7 days after we receive the milk samples. We can also send the results by post.
Book a BVD PI Hunt test
Call 0800 436362 to book a PI Hunt test.