Use these tests to:
- identify PI animals in your milking herd
- screen new additions to your herd
- screen calves and yearlings
- screen natural mating bulls before introducing them to your herd.
You can also use blood samples to measure the BVD exposure level and immunity status of individual animals.
BVD testing using tissue samples
Detect the BVD virus in individual animals by using:
See Collecting tissue samples for A2 gene testing or BVD testing
for information about how to collect and send tissue samples for standalone BVD testing, and how to combine the BVD test with DNA parentage testing.
Calves must be at least 35 days old to use tissue samples for BVD testing.
We’ll send you the results from BVD tissue testing in 3 working days.
Use the Whole Herd Submission Form or the Individual Animal Submission Form to test for the BVD virus in tissue samples collected for DNA parentage testing.
Use the Animal Health Sample Submission Form to test for the BVD virus in tissue samples collected for standalone BVD testing. Tick BVD Antigen ELISA on the form.
Whole Herd Submission FormIndividual Animal Submission Form
Individual Animal Submission Form
Animal Health Sample Submission Form
Blood samples for earlier results
Detect the BVD virus in calves before they are 35 days old with blood samples taken by your vet.
You can also use blood samples as an alternative to tissue samples to test for the BVD virus in individual animals, or to measure their exposure level or immunity status.
Your vet should collect a 10ml blood sample for each animal being tested. We prefer purple top blood tubes but will accept red top tubes.
Choose from four tests:
- BVD PCR — detect the virus in animals over 35 days old.
- Calf PCR — detect the virus in calves less than 35 days old.
- BVD antigen ELISA — detect the virus in animals over 35 days with a slightly faster turnaround time for results.
- BVD antibody ELISA — test whether an animal has been exposed to BVD.
Send the blood samples, with a completed Animal Health Sample Submission Form, to:
140 Riverlea Road
Tick the box on the form to indicate which of the tests you want.
We’ll send you the results in 3 to 5 days, depending on which of the tests you choose.