Good pasture management is vital to maximising your farm’s productivity and profitability, but current measurement tools aren’t always adequate. They can be time-consuming and results can vary depending on who’s doing the measuring.
That’s why we’ve created SPACE™ service – a New Zealand first for pasture measurement. You get detailed pasture data, from images taken by satellites, emailed directly to you. So you don’t have to do the hard yards.
- Time saving – measure your pasture without walking the farm
- Convenient – get pasture data emailed directly to you
- Objective – carry out measurements using one, repeatable method
- Integrated – upload pasture data automatically to MINDA Land & Feed
How the SPACE™ service works
Satellites currently pass over New Zealand daily. Once you’re signed up to the SPACE™ service, we will start receiving images of your farm from the satellites. When the weather allows a clear image to be taken, it is analysed, and a detailed pasture data report will be sent to you the next day.
It’s a game-changer for pasture management, utilising an algorithm developed by LIC scientists to estimate pasture cover for New Zealand farmers.
The SPACE™ report includes:
- an image of your farm which presents pasture cover variation by colour, showing differences across the farm and within each paddock;
- an image of your farm showing any areas covered by shadow and cloud;
- a detailed feed wedge; and
- the latest paddock ranking and estimated dry matter per hectare (kgDM/ha) for each.
Check to see if SPACE™ is available in your area.