1. Order your sampling equipment
The GeneMark Allflex applicator gun and the GeneMark Allflex punch kits make sampling quick, easy and hassle free.
To take tissue samples you need an applicator gun and enough punch kits to get samples from all the animals you want to test. Each punch kit contains 10 tissue sampling units.
You can order sampling equipment by:
2. Sample your animals
To sample your animals follow these steps:
- Take a new tissue sampling unit (TSU) out of the punch kit and fit it into the applicator gun.
- Record the tag number of the animal you are sampling on the card on the front of the punch kit — be careful to match the barcode on the TSU with the barcode on the card.
- Collect the tissue sample using the applicator gun.
- Remove the TSU from the applicator gun and put it into a ziplock bag.
- When you’ve used all 10 TSUs in the punch kit remove the completed card and put it into the ziplock bag with the TSUs.
- Use a new ziplock bag for each group of animals you sample (calves, cows, previous season’s progeny and natural mating bulls).
- Wet TSU’s (contain a liquid preservative) must be stored in the fridge if you are not planning on sending to the lab immediately.
- Dry TSU’s must be stored in the freezer.
For more information on how to sample your animals safely and effectively, see:
Guide to using the GeneMark Allflex applicator gun and the GeneMark Allflex Tissue punches
For details on maintaining your applicator, or fixing common issues, see:
Allflex applicator maintenance & troubleshooting guide
3. Courier us your samples
Courier the samples to our laboratory using the courier bag provided. You don’t need to keep the samples chilled for couriering, but make sure they get to us no later than midday on a Friday so they arrive when our laboratory is attended.
Please ensure you include a submission form with your samples.
Send the samples with the completed submission forms to:
140 Riverlea Road
You’ll receive a confirmation email from the lab once your samples have been received.
4. Getting the results
We’ll email the results of the tests to you and we’ll also upload them to MINDA.
- Whole herd parentage test results arrive within four to five weeks.
- Individual parentage results arrive within six weeks.
- BVD results for animals older than 35 days (BVD Ag ELISA test) have a turnaround time of 3 days after being received at the Animal Health lab.
- BVD results for animals younger than 35 days (BVD PCR test) is 7 days.
- A2/A2 tissue results have a turnaround time of 4 weeks.