For whole-herd DNA parentage testing complete, sign and send us the GeneMark Whole Herd Account Application form to set up your GeneMark account.
To DNA parentage test follow these steps. If you’re whole-herd testing you must book a testing date with our GeneMark laboratory and get your samples there by that date. Contact your local LIC rep or call GeneMark on 0800 436 362 to make a booking.
We provide a free Field Assist to help whole herd customers the first time they take samples.
There’s no need to book if you’re doing individual animal DNA parentage testing (or nominated animal DNA parentage testing for goats) — just courier us the tissue samples.
1. Order your sampling equipment
The GeneMark Allflex applicator gun and the GeneMark Allflex punch kits make DNA sampling quick, easy and hassle free.
To take tissue samples you need an applicator gun and enough punch kits to get samples from all the animals you want a DNA profile for. Each punch kit contains 10 tissue sampling units.
You can order sampling equipment by:
2. Sample your animals
To sample your animals follow these steps:
- Take a new tissue sampling unit (TSU) out of the punch kit and fit it into the applicator gun.
- Record the tag number of the animal you are sampling on the card on the front of the punch kit — be careful to match the barcode on the TSU with the barcode on the card.
- Collect the tissue sample using the applicator gun.
- Remove the TSU from the applicator gun and put it into a ziplock bag.
- When you’ve used all 10 TSUs in the punch kit remove the completed card and put it into the ziplock bag with the TSUs.
- Use a new ziplock bag for each group of animals you sample (calves, cows, previous season’s progeny and natural mating bulls).
- Store the samples in the freezer if you’re not planning to send them to our laboratory immediately.
For more information on how to sample your animals safely and effectively, see:
Guide to using the GeneMark Allflex applicator gun and the GeneMark Allflex Tissue punches
For details on maintaining your applicator, or fixing common issues, see:
Allflex applicator maintenance & troubleshooting guide
3. Courier us your samples
Courier the samples to our laboratory using the courier bag provided. You don’t need to keep the samples chilled for couriering, but make sure they get to us no later than midday on a Friday so they arrive when our laboratory is attended.
Include a completed TSU Sample submission form. Use a new submission form for each group of animals you test.
For goats, include a completed Goat Whole Herd Submission form or a completed Goat Nominated Animal Submission form depending on which test you are doing. Use a new submission form for each group of animals you test
Send the samples with the completed submission forms to:
140 Riverlea Road
TSU Sample Submission form
Goat Whole Herd Submission form
Goat Nominated Animal Submission form
You’ll receive a confirmation email from the lab once your samples have been received.
Track your samples in Member Services — go to My GeneMark Submissions to see the status of your tissue samples (for whole herd testing only).
4. Getting the results
Whole herd parentage test results arrive within four weeks. Individual parentage results arrive within six weeks.
We’ll email the results of the tests to you and we’ll also upload them to MINDA.